Friday, December 24, 2010

My own Christmas Miracle

I spent a few weeks worrying about Christmas this year. This is the first year that I will be waking up without family or loved ones by my side. I have plans to see dear friends through the day, but waking up alone was for some reason terrifying to me. I have some to terms with it...as my brother always says to me "It is what it is". Tonight...the heavens above smiled upon me. No, I didn't bring a woman home for Christmas Eve. Seriously, if I did would I be posting on a blog right now? Give me a little credit.

This years Christmas Eve was full of small miracles that remind me of all that is beautiful and amazing. It started with a facebook post from one of my favorite former managers. Seems she bought quite the awesome toy for her 4 year old son this year...but alas, a change in life left her without tools this Christmas. Being the helpful sort that I am, I was happy to lend a hand and some tools. And when have I ever passed up a chance to build stuff? It was a small hour of my day, filled with fun conversation and knowing that I was building a toy that would make a boy smile for many months.

I came to enjoy a little nap before church. Despite my varied religious opinions and beliefs, I loved attending Christmas Eve services. Lucky for me the Unitarian Universalist church always has a good one. I began attending the church a few months ago. There is something that just feels good about spending a Sunday morning in the company of like minded people and taking a moment to appreciate what life has to offer. I was excited to attend Christmas Eve service with this new group of people that have so graciously welcomed me to their spiritual home. I arrived ten minutes before the service was to start and was so happy as I entered the door. I love when a service has a candlelit component to it. There is something so overwhelmingly peaceful when a church is lit by candles. I grabbed a seat near the back, amongst a row of empty seats and patiently waited for the service to start. At first I was worried about how empty the church seamed, and them I remember I was attending a UU service. UU's aren't know for their punctuality. As I sat reading over the order of service, an older woman came walking up with that "Where should I sit look". I motioned for her to join the empty aisle I was sitting it and she graciously accepted. I should send her a thank you card. With her sat her daughter, who held in her beauty that would make Matisse cry with joy.

I laugh about it because as I got ready for church tonight, I made sure to look nice and smell good. You never now when you might meet a beautiful woman, you had best be prepared. As we sat through the service she laughed at my terrible jokes which I take as a good sign. Her mother made it a point to tell me that her daughter teaches the Thursday Yoga classes at the church. I think I need to go out and buy a Yoga mat...I swear she might have been a Christmas Angel.

I have no idea if she is a fan of the fairer sex...and frankly I don't care. I will be happy for days thinking about this woman who has a smile that you feel blessed to bring out and eyes that you could stare into for days.

I have much to be thankful this year. Today, I feel like I'm on top of the world. I sat next to one of the most stunning women I have ever seen, and she wished me a Merry Christmas with that smile of hers.

1 comment:

breda said...

I'm sure she thought you were beautiful too.