Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Flying blind

One of the aspects of living in Colorado Springs that takes some getting used to is the fact that I now live in a military town.  I have an army base about 20 minutes south of me, and about 15 minutes north of me is the Air Force Academy.  One of my favorite things about living near the academy is that almost every day driving home, I get to see cadets learning to fly in bi-planes.  This weekend I was able to see the Thunderbirds from work.  Today is graduation day for the cadets, traffic all along the freeway was very slow, and I think just about every police officer and state trooper was out making sure no one stopped along the freeway to watch the flight events.  Anyone who watches the news knows that our dear president gave the commencement address.  There have been a number of times in my life when I was in close proximity of the president.  I have never met one, and really, as a species, I'm not all that interested in politicians.  

My official stance on the upcoming presidential election is to wait until both the elephants and the asses have picked their front man or woman...and go from there.  The things that are important to me may not be important to who ever becomes president.  Perhaps it's because I don't fit the mold of what most lesbians are, but I'm not worried about marriage, adoption, or most other issues that the gay community unites over.  I want to be able to fall asleep at night knowing that I'm safe, that I will have a job, and that my family will have a roof over their head.  Maybe it's naive, but I have so little faith in politics, that I've almost stopped caring.  Maybe it's not the best way to view things, but it sure beats being stressed out at night watching the news listening to candidates argue over who is more wrong.


No comments: