Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spirit of the Games

For as long as I can remember, I have loved sports. I have tried to play a number of them, but my body prefers warming the bench. I have accepted that I will never be a world class athlete, but that doesn't stop me from watching all kinds of sports. Over the yearsI have come to dislike professional sports, as it becomes less and less about the sport, and more about the contracts, endorsements and other drama. There is one area of athletic contest that seems to not be polluted by consumerism, is the Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I know there is unbelieveable amounts of money thrown and sonsorships and advertising, but the athletes seem to be in it for the pure joy of competing. And I have been getting more and more excited about the upcoming summer games in China...until recently.

I have high hopes that the fighting, bickering, and finger pointing will come to an end. Threats of some countries not sending their athletes....it makes me a bit sad. On August 8, I want to be able to sit down and watch the opening cermomonies and enjoy all the the Olympics are to me...

1 comment:

breda said...

Tibet is like the Asian version of Northern Ireland - I can't blame them for wanting to be free.