Monday, March 3, 2008

awakening

Often I am asked about my job, which isn't something I would consider sexy or exciting. I work in a call center for an insurance company. It is not uncommon for someone to hear me venting a complaint or two about my job, and it hit me a minute ago what bothers me most about my job. I get yelled at and blamed for things that I have no control over. I have no control on how much your insurance is going to cost, nor do I know who does. With 28,000 people working here, I can't possibly know who specifically put together the numbers that determine your insurance rate. I also have no influence on the claims process, and I have never met the CEO.

If you have to call into a call center, don't scream at the person on the other end of the phone...they don't get paid enough to be the punching bag you want because you're unhappy. Write the CEO, or whatever, but really...leave me out of it. I'll take your payment, I'll make changes, and I'll try to help however I can, but screaming at me won't change a thing...and when you have a 16 year old son who crashes a car every week...please don't ask why your insurance is expensive...

No comments: